Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Vagaries of the Good Life

As much as my religious preference would make you think otherwise, I love the single life. It's true that I don't always intend to stay this way, but while I am single, it's fun. There's noones problems or schedules to deal with but my own, I can go to bed as early or as late as I want, and I can eat my dessert first. But there are times, two I can think of, when being single isn't all it's cracked up to be.
The first is when you're sitting in a cold, desperatley sterilized doctor's office with nothing but frightening questions on your mind. This is facing me right now as my doctor and I try to find out if I will be facing my sencond surgery in the past six months. It's in times of uncertainty like this, when you're weak and frightened, that the idea of having a family to love and support you sounds like heaven, and it far outweighs the ability to go buy yourself a new pair of shoes on a whim.
It has become clear to me that God has created us to need one another. And this isn't springing from some sort of weird codependence on my part. I guess the whole "neither is the man without the woman or the woman without the man" thing is ringing true to me. Not that I intend to rush out and get married. I think there is stil alot of time that will pass before I'm ready for something like that. But there are moments...
To celebrate my independance, and to prove to myslef that I could handle it, I tackled the other bane of a single person's existance: The sit-down restaurant. It is patently uncomfortable to go to a restaraunt by yourself. You can still accomplish this bit of splurging if you do something creative, like bring friend, a book, or a project. But I was going to be brave. I came with nothing but what I could fit in my coat pocket, marched bravely to one of my favorite restaurants, and was promptly seated in a back corner where other people wouldn't have to feel sorry for me. I was doing good until about ten minutes into it, after I had thoroughly read the entire menu, and my waitress had taken my order. I stared at the wall for a while, until my vision started getting a little blurry from looking at one spot for too long. Admitting defeat, I felt in my coat pocket and was relieved to find I had remembered my cell phone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home